Axel Polleres joined the Institute of Information Business of Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU Wien) in Sept 2013 as a full professor in the area of "Data and Knowledge Engineering".
He obtained his Ph.D. and habilitation from Vienna University of Technology
and worked at University of Innsbruck, Austria,
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain,
the Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI) at the National University of Ireland, Galway,
and for Siemens AG's Corporate Technology Research division before joining WU Wien.
His research focuses on querying and reasoning about ontologies, rules languages, logic programming, Semantic Web technologies, Web services, knowledge management, Linked Open Data, configuration technologies and their applications.
He has worked in several European and national research projects in these areas.
Axel has published more than 100 articles in journals, books, and conference and workshop contributions
and co-organised several international conferences and workshops in the areas of logic programming, Semantic Web, data management, Web services and related topics and acts/acted as editorial board member for JWS, SWJ and IJSWIS.
Moreover, he actively contributed to international standardisation efforts within the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) where he co-chaired the W3C SPARQL working group.
Find a more detailed version of my CV in PDF here
Born in Vienna, Austria on March 24, 1974.
- 04/2001 - 09/2003: PhD studies at
Vienna Univ. of Technology
- 10/1992 - 04/2001: Diploma studies in Computer Science at
Vienna Univ. of Technology
- 09/1984 - 06/1992: High School Kufstein, Tirol
- 03/2011: Habilitation (venia docendi) in the subject of "Informationssysteme" (TU Vienna, Austria)
- 10/2003: PhD in Computer Science (TU Vienna, Austria)
- 04/2001: MSc in Computer Science (TU Vienna, Austria)
- Professional Carreer
- since 09/2013: Full Professor at Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU Wien)
- 06/2011 - 08/2013: Senior Research Scientist at Siemens AG - Corporate Technology, Vienna, Austria.
- 03/2010 - 06/2011: Senior Research Fellow and continued leader of the "Semantic Search" research stream at the Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI) at the National University of Ireland, Galway
- 03/2009 - 02/2010: Research Fellow and leader of the "Semantic Search" research stream at the Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI) at the National University of Ireland, Galway
- 04/2007 - 02/2009: Postdoctoral Researcher, Project Leader, and Adjunct Lecturer at the Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI) at the National University of Ireland, Galway
- 02/2006 - 05/2007: "Juan de la Cierva" Research Fellowship at the Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain.
- 10/2003 - 01/2006: Research and Teaching Assistant at the Instutite of Computer Science,
University of Innsbruck.
- 06/2001 - 09/2003: Research Assistant, at the Institute of Information Systems,
Knowledge-Based Systems Group, TU Vienna.
- 05/2000 - 06/2001: Civil Service, Wiener Integrationsfonds, Vienna.
- 05/1999 - 05/2000: ENTSORGUNGSBETRIEBE SIMMERING, Vienna: Development and
implementation of a database solution for managing enterprise
statistics and building interfaces to the production system.
- 07/1997 - 05/1999: TARBUK AG, Schwechat: PC and network support for a
car trading company; building up LAN infrastructure in the
branch offices; leading software training courses for the office staff.
- Awards and Grants
- 2015: IEEE International Conference on Open and Big Data - Best Paper Award for "Quality Assessment & Evolution of Open Data Portals", joint work with J\"urgen Umbrich and Sebastian Neumaier
- 2010: RR2010 Best Paper Award for "Redundancy Elimination on RDF Graphs in the presence of Rules, Constraints, and Queries", joint work with Reinhard Pichler, Sebastian Skritek, and Stefan Woltran
- 2009: ISWC2009 In-use Track Best Paper Award for "Produce and Consume Linked Data with Drupal!", joint work with Stéphane Corlosquet, Renaud Delbru, Tim Clark, and Stefan Decker
- 2006: "Juan de la Cierva" research grant from the Spanish Ministry of Education
- "OCG-Förderpreis 2002", award for outstanding master theses in the field of
Computer Science by the Austrian Computer Society
German (native), English (fluently), Spanish (fluently), Estonian (basic)